Annually, the SMBHC will grant up to two Barksdale Awards of $5,000 each. The SMBHC reserves the right to make one or no awards.
The SMBHC deans and academic counselor are available for brainstorming and general questions.
Applicants: we recommend using either Chrome or Firefox to download the forms. Please be sure to download the file as a PDF. Email the completed PDF to Jennifer Parsons as an attachment to an email. The subject line should indicate which piece of the application is attached.
Deadline: December 15, 2021 by 11:59pm CST
Recipients announced: Honors College Spring Convocation, February 7, 2022
Project timeline: Between May 1 of the award year and June 30 of the following year.
Eligible students must
- have been members of the Honors College for at least one academic year by the start of the proposed project;
- have completed at least two years at the undergraduate level (usually 60 credit hours) by the end of the academic year of application;
- plan at least one semester in residence after completion of the project;
- have a minimum GPA of 3.7;
- be in full compliance with CAC.
The project MAY but NEED NOT
- have an academic focus (on your major or for your thesis, for example);
- fit within a traditional academic semester;
- occur during the summer;
- supplement a traditional study abroad program with decidedly independent travel/research;
- focus on humanitarian or social justice concerns at a local, national, or global level;
- enhance or expand your independent scientific research already in progress.
The proposed project MUST be one that
- is clearly going to cost around $5,000 for project-related expenses;
- is clearly do-able on $5,000 (or you can say where you’ll get the rest of the money);
- will be completed by June 30 of the year following the award year.
The award will NOT fund
- tuition or fees for a program of study;
- internships undertaken for academic credit;
(For such plans, apply instead for an Honors Fellowship)
- participation in experiences (e.g. missions, service) organized by someone else.
Undertaking projects of this sort may mean that you delay graduation by a semester or more. Please give serious consideration to what you cannot do if you are awarded this stipend, as well as to what you can.
Application materials and submission procedures: All materials are submitted electronically, via attachments, in e-mails to Jennifer Parsons. You may submit materials as they are ready for submission rather than submit everything at once. In subject line, identify the material(s) being submitted.
To apply, eligible students must submit the following materials:
1. Registration Form. Strongly recommended: submit a test registration form as early as possible, to make sure the technology is working for you. A test registration form will of course be replaced when the actual registration form is submitted.
2. Project Proposal: In an essay of no more than 1,000 words, tell us what you want to do and why you want to do it. Your essay should touch on the experiences and coursework that have prepared you for this project, and should demonstrate a thorough understanding of and enthusiasm for the obstacles and challenges you will face. Put a title and your name at the top of the page, and submit the project proposal as a Word or PDF document.
3. Budget Worksheet: a reasonable projection of project-related expenses.
4. Two letters of recommendation: from professors who have had you in class and with whom you have discussed this proposal. The letter-writers should know you well enough to be able to discuss the qualities (of mind and character) and/or the academic work that will support your successful completion of the project you propose. NOTE: as soon as mentors agree to write your letters, send their names and e-mail addresses to Jennifer Parsons. Writers will e-mail their letters directly to Dr. Parsons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. A one-page résumé.
6. An unofficial UM transcript showing current GPA. Send any time the transcript is up to date as of the beginning of Fall term. Fall grades will not appear in time for Barksdale Award submission, and an early submission of material is appreciated.
7. Certifications Sheet. At submission stage, just type initials; award winners will be required to provide a hand-written Certifications agreement.
All materials must be received electronically by 11:59pm CST on December 15, 2021.